FAMILIES WITH PRESCHOOL-AGED CHILDREN
NHE FUTURE FALCONS
Future Falcons is a group coordinated by Northwood Hills Elementary School and the NHE Parent-Teacher Association to provide a variety of opportunities for families with one or more children age 5 and under to learn about and find ways to get connected at our wonderful neighborhood school. Our mission is to build a strong sense of community while promoting and encouraging families find connections and get involved at Northwood Hills Elementary.
Have children that are already school-aged? Check out our New Falcon Families page by clicking here.
JOIN NHE FUTURE FALCONS
Join over 150 of your neighbors and stay up to date on upcoming Moms' Night Out, play dates, family events, couples social events, and everything Northwood Hills.
Email List: Join our email list by clicking here.
Future Falcons Facebook Group: Join the Facebook Group by clicking here.
Questions: Email the NHE PTA Future Falcons Committee Chairs at email@example.com.
Please feel free to invite your neighborhood friends!
IN THE FALL: ATTEND OUR PROSPECTIVE PARENT NIGHT
Each fall, NHE PTA Future Falcon Committee hosts an NHE Prospective Parent Information Night. Parents new to the area or with incoming kindergartners are invited to hear from the Principal, staff, and current parents along with socializing with other incoming families. If you missed the 2018 Prospective Parent Night, check out our NHE calendar for opportunities to attend any of our PTA events, Spring School Tour, and Future Falcons activities throughout the year.
IN THE SPRING: ATTEND KINDERGARTEN ROUNDUP
Each spring, NHE hosts Kindergarten Roundup where parents of children who will be 5 years old prior to September 1 will receive information about the school along with directions for enrolling their student.
In order to secure your child's place at NHE for the coming year, you must enroll your student as soon as possible. Please contact the school office at 469-593-4300 for more information on how to access online enrollment. The school office closes in June and early July and reopens for enrollment in July. For more information, please contact the school. Along with completed enrollment paperwork you will need the following information:
- Birth certificate
- Your child's Social Security Card
- Complete immunization records (date, month and year of every immunization received)
- Proof of residency (water, electric or gas bill for homeowners or apartment lease with the parent's name)
- Parents/Guardian ID (driver's license, state issued ID or Passport)
Please contact the school office for any additional information.
CHECK OUT WHAT WE DID AT THE 2018 FALL PROSPECTIVE PARENT INFORMATION NIGHT
President David Sims kicked off the evening by welcoming everyone and introducing Principal Tavarez.
Principal Tavarez talked about all the highlights at NHE and about “her babies” aka students.
Our panel of staff and parents answered questions and shared insights from their own experiences.
WHY NORTHWOOD HILLS
The mission of Northwood Hills is to provide all learners with opportunities for growth through profound curriculum, 21st century learning tools, and real-world applications.
Highly Rated and Awarded
• Met Standard under TEA Accountability System in 2018
• Member of the Texas Business and Education Coalition Honor Roll
Highly Qualified Staff
• 100% of our Teachers are TEA Certified and “Highly Qualified” under state standards.
• 40% of our staff hold or are currently earning post graduate degrees.
• NHE has exceptional support staff, including an Instructional Coach, Math Specialist and
• All NHE teachers and staff are trained on the latest teaching strategies for engaging,
expanding and accelerating students’ learning.
Actively Involved Parents and Engaged Student Body
• Recipient of the Platinum Award from RISD Council of PTA’s for 5,000+ volunteer hours.
• 15% of the student body is in REACH, RISD’s gifted program.
• Low student to teacher ratio due to support from specialists, support staff, and differentiated
• Students and teachers utilize the latest technology including 1:1 iPad implementation.
• Individualized instruction through the use of differentiation strategies and daily small group
Extra-Curricular Activities and Programs
• All students go the Think Tank, a hands-on, discovery-based math and science lab, where they are challenged with advanced experiments and problem-solving activities. NHE is one of few elementary campuses with a dedicated math/science lab.
• NHE has implemented school-wide Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) program, Sanford Harmony.
• All students and staff are encouraged to model and practice all Positive Behavior Intervention System (PBIS) strategies taught by teachers.
• Students patriciate in reading, incentive program called Accelerated Reader. Online reading tests are used to build students’ comprehension skills.
• Sixth grade students attend Enterprise City, an RISD provided program that introduces students to real world concepts and careers. Courtesy Patrol members greet students every morning and help with dismissal
• Peer Mediators provide students with problem-solving skills
• K-FLY Video Announcements led by students and streamed live into classrooms
• Award Winning Choir (5th and 6th Grade)
• Band & Orchestra (6th Grade)
• Art Club
• Falcon Pride
• Girls on the Run
• Boys II Men
• Science Fair
• Invention Convention
• Lone Star Challenge Academic Competition
• Girl Talk
• Junior Beta Club (5th and 6th Grades) completes annual service projects
• Pride Rallies and Rewards Programs every nine weeks
• Future Falcons events to support and build relationships with incoming students and families